We love this delicious and hearty salad found in Runner’s World Magazine. It’s quick to make, good for you and tastes great! Visit their site for details on specific health benefits.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons course-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped, washed kale
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups pitted and diced fresh apricots (about 4 medium) or 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add quinoa and toast until fragrant and slightly darker in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add the water, cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes. Cool quinoa to lukewarm.
- Make the dressing by whisking the garlic, cumin, mustard, kefir, pepper, and salt. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Place remaining ingredients—kale, kidney beans, apricots, onion, and cilantro—in a large bowl.
- Add quinoa and the dressing.
- Toss to coat and serve.
Makes 4 servings.